|Spears Instrument Customer Comments
Folks who bought a Spears hammered dulcimer say:
• "The wood is starting to mellow in colour, and it looks and sounds stunning. Your Hammer Dance dulcimer stays in tune very well now that it has adjusted to the extremely dry atmosphere in Antarctica--but we usually keep it indoors!--Alyn
• "God may mold the clay, but Lee, your instruments have an inner spirit waiting to get out and dance for the joy of all that is good. You are creating a band of soul weavers through the instruments you create. I hope to find one day that you have made another album. --David Durrell
• "It is gorgeous beyond belief. More importantly, it produces a warm, round voice from deep within and is heard evenly from the high strings to the bass. Each note resonates just long enough to play sweet arpeggios, but decays quickly enough to play dance music without the tones mushing together." Corliss Rice, Milwaukee, WI
• "I love the bright, clear tone and the close string spacing that makes long reaches easier. I can play in C and F! When it arrived, that's when the ragtime really got unleashed."
• "The Spears instrument made it possible to play almost anything I wanted. Suddenly I could play that chromatic circus march, Entry of the Gladiators. Now my rule is, if I can't play Gladiators on a dulcimer, it doesn't have enough strings." --Nick Krukovsky (excerpt from interview in Dulcimer Player News)
• Lee Spears' instruments gave me a sense of what was possible....--James Jones, (excerpt from interview in Dulcimer Player News '97)
• The Spears instrument made it possible to play almost anything I wanted. " -Satisfied customer
A North Carolina luthier, Lee Spears also makes hammers that are prized for their impeccable balance and response. They are two-sided: wood on one side gives the traditional, bright sound and the leather-trimmed side yields mellow, muted tones.
NC luthier Lee Spears makes hammer dulcimers and hammered dulcimer music
Spears Instrument Company
contact the webmistress